John Boyega, Ray Fisher Among Top Candidates For Star Wars: Episode VII Lead RolePosted by Wilson Morales
Source: Variety
According to Variety, “Attack the Block” actor John Boyega, theater actors Ray Fisher and Matthew James Thomas, and “Downton Abbey” star Ed Speleers are among the actors in contention for the lead role in J.J. Abrams’ Star Wars: Episode VII, joining “Breaking Bad” actor Jesse Plemons in the mix.
“Girls” star Adam Driver was named last month as the film’s central villain.
The site states that, “Exact details of the character are vague but the part is believed to be a Jedi apprentice. The original draft by Michael Arndt was said to focus on Han Solo and Princess Leia’s kids, however, Abrams and Kasdan’s recent rewrite reportedly puts their offspring in a supporting role.”
“Sources also indicate the reason for the delay has to do whether execs and creatives want someone of a different ethnicity from the previous Caucasian leads. Abrams has said on numerous occasions that he wants to have a diversified cast, which is why actors like David Oyewolo and Michael B. Jordan tested early on,” says Variety writer Justin Kroll.
Boyega is in hot demand these days, having landing the role of Jesse Owens in the biopic Race. The British actor has also been added to the cast of Fox’s event series “24: Live Another Day” in a recurring role, while Fisher was recently on stage, appearing as Muhammad Ali in the production of ‘Fetch Clay, Make Man.’
Produced by Abrams, his Bad Robot partner Bryan Burke and Lucasfilm head honcho Kathleen Kennedy, “Star Wars Episode VII” hits theaters Dec. 18, 2015.
ShareTweet

